Re: soundblaster troubles

Michael Young wrote:

> >From somewhere in the ether on Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:05:49 +0200 (CEST) Michael Schwendt <mschwendt yahoo com> wrote:
> -> >
> -> >yes, modprobe sb yeilds the same errors.
> ->
> -> Sure about that? Please double-check. I bet you no longer get any
> -> unresolved dependencies, but just the "incorrect module parameters"
> -> error. This makes a big difference. Well, in both cases your sound
> -> doesn't work yet. But since "modprobe sb" installs all depending
> -> modules, it is up to correct soundcard config parameters for the
> -> driver to work.
>
> Your absolutely correct, either way my sound isn't working. :-) Actually, your right on both counts, the dependency errors disappear, but I am still left with non-functioning sound. I have tried many different io/irq/dma combinations, and none of them seem to make the 'sb' driver happy. This card is a known good device, as I have heard sound from it many times. I have also tried the OSS drivers, and they also failed. I am at a loss as to what to do. I am also wondering why no one from Red Hat has come forth to offer suggestions.

I think you need to make sure you have a free interrupt since ISA does not share.
`cat /proc/interrupts`  and see if there is a device already using IRQ 5 which is default I believe.
If you have not done so, try running pnpdump, as was suggested, and take a good look at the output. Some of those old SB cards had IDE controllers on them which also requires an interrupt and as far as I know you can not disable the cdrom controller and have sound.
`lsmod` to see if there are any sound related modules loaded and if there are any `rmmod` them before  attempting to load the sb module.
You can also try modprobe -t drivers/sound/ \* to see what loads but I do not think it is recommended practice.
-Joshua