Re: ext3 with Downloader for X

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 08:34:53AM +0200, Laurent CREPET wrote:
> This morning, I was downloading some 600 Mb iso images on
> my /download, ext3. The disk start to write without interrupt.
> Then, I stopped the download in Downloader for X. Immediately,
> the disk stopped.

"iostat" should be able to tell you just how much traffic is being
generated.

Which application were you downloading with, btw?  I've noticed that
at least one --- Netscape 4 --- has the annoying habit of constantly
running fsync() to flush things to disk all the time (even letting an
animated gif spin will get it syncing every frame!)

> So, should I switch to another journalising mode available under
> ext3 (no particular settings in fstab) ?

I doubt it: the default should be fine for most users.

Cheers,
 Stephen