Re: Error compiling rpm-3.0.5 on AIX

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 11:52:47AM -0500, Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: Error compiling rpm-3.0.5 on AIX, Jose Romildo Malaquias said...:
>
> >Hello.
> >
> >I am trying to build rpm-3.0.5 on AIX 4.3.1
> >and have got the following error message:
> >
> >gcc -shared -o .libs/libpopt.so.0.0.0  popt.o findme.o poptparse.o poptconfig.o
> >popthelp.o   -lintl -L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib/ -L/usr/local/lib -ldb -lz -lbz2
> > -lc  -Wl,-bexpall -Wl,-bnoentry ${wl}-berok
> >collect2: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> The problem is your system, not rpm 3.x.  While trying to fork and exec
> a program, collect2 received an error.  This means that either
>
> 1) Your system has run out of processes, i.e. you've encountered the maximum
> number of system-wide processes that may be running, so no new ones can be
> started.  This is very bad.  :-)  The maximum # of processes can be increased
> through various means (go through smit), but you'll have to have root access
> to do it.
>
> 2) Your personal userid has encountered the maximum number of processes that
> *you* can have.  You personally can't start any more processes until you get
> rid of some old ones.  This limit can be increased through smit, if you have
> root access and up'ing the non-root per-user process limit makes sense for
> this particular box.
>
> 3) The fork may have failed because of some other resource problem.  Perhaps
> you're out of virtual memory?  Check your swap space usage, and see if you're
> running out of VM.

After increasing the userid maximum number of processes from 40 to 50
the error disappeared.

I am using the spec file from Red Hat Linux 6.2 updates to build an rpm package
for rpm, after making some small modifications to the spec. In the %files
section there are the lines

	%ifarch powerpc ppc
	%{__prefix}/lib/rpm/ppc*
	%endif

but no %{__prefix}/lib/rpm/ppc* files exist:

	File not found by glob: /var/tmp/rpm-root/opt/rpmbased/lib/rpm/ppc*

Are these not found files important and should the installation process
have created them or can I safely remove them from the %files section?

Thanks.

Romildo
--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias <romildo@iceb.ufop.br>