Re: how to install kernel-2.2.16

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

>Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:48:46 -0400
>From: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery@kf8nh.apk.net>
>To: rpm-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: how to install kernel-2.2.16
>
>On 08/19/00 20:26:32 -0400 "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@meteng.on.ca> wrote:
>+-----
>| On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 Zip133@aol.com wrote:
>|
>| >Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:40:00 EDT
>| >From: Zip133@aol.com
>|                ^^^
>|
>| It's alway's an AOL'er isn't it...
>+--->8
>
>Except when it's a WebTV'er.
>
>Especially "amusing" how it's always the responsibility of everyone on the
>list to remove the whiner, *never* the whiner's responsibility.

Yeah, agreed.  My preference is for everyone to ignore them
completely, except perhaps to point out the line at the bottom of
every message.  I'd rather download their complaints and filter
them with procmail.  That way I know they're suffering from high
volume mail, but I don't have to know about it.  Makes me feel
warm inside.  ;o)

Can you imagine if 1/3 of the subscriber base demanded to be
removed from the lists in this manner?  Ugg.

Majordomo has a smart feature that can detect most unsubscribe
messages sent to lists and either autoremove the subscriber, or
send it to the list maintainer.

Does GNU Mailman have a similar feature?  I think such a feature
seriously reduces the:  "I am a total moron, and don't read
instructions sent to me or file them for future reference.  I am
going to cause a big ruckus unless everyone out there drops what
they're doing and unsubscribes me, despite the fact that they
don't have the power or means of doing so, and I am a big idiot
for complaining to the wrong place."

Geeze..  Every majordomo, etc subscription notice I've ever
received since roughly 1994 is in a folder called "majordomo".
When I have trouble with a list subscription, I go through that
folder trying to find the info that may have been sent.  If
nothing, I try to send a "help" request to the majordomo.  If all
else fails, I will then likely send a _POLITE_ message to the
list similar to:

"Sorry to bother everyone on the list, however I seem to have
misplaced the instructions for unsubscribing from this
list.  I've made every attempt at querying the mailserver for
instructions, etc.. but to no avail.  Could someone please send
me instructions on how I can remove myself from this
list?  Thanks in advance for your help in this matter!"

There.. Now if *THAT* doesn't get someone off a list, then I
don't know what will.  ;o)   It has worked for me almost every
time I've needed it.  The only time it didn't was a Gary North
newsletter, a Y2K newsletter I was getting.  The jerks running
the newsletter refused to remove people from their mailings even
after repeated unsubscribe attempts and complaints.  They started
spamming with other stuff that obviously came from their site
too.  I solved that one myself though.  I had ipchains block all
connections from their netblocks with DENY.  No more
newsletters.  ;o)

Ok.. back to business.
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

       Try out Red Hat Linux today:  http://www.redhat.com
           ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/