rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1

Hi,

I''m building a package to which I just added a versioned dependency. Now,
the following additional dependency appears to be automatically created as
well:

rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1

Consequently my package fails to install on versions of Linux with later
versions of RPM whereas before adding my versioned dependency it installed
fine.

Is this a bug in the version of RPM I'm using (should the dependency be >=
3.0.3-1)? Or do I just not understand why it makes sense to only be able to
install packages with earlier versions of RPM rather than later versions?
This seems backwards to me.

# rpm --version
RPM version 3.0.5

I also don't seem to be able to find out what version of
rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) is provided on a system e.g.

# rpm -q --provides 'rpmlib(VersionedDependencies)'
package rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) is not installed
# rpm -q --provides rpmlib
package rpmlib is not installed

I am an RPM newbie so I'm probably just missing something fundamental here.
Can someone explain to me how I can get around this? Do I simply have to
remove my own versioned dependency so this goes away? How are versioned
dependencies supposed to be used? It seems to me that they're not useful if
they always bring in this '<= <some RPM version>' restriction (which is how
I interpret the above). I want to be able to specify a version rather than
just the package because I know earlier versions of the package I prereq
are broken.

Cheers,

Tim Bartley.
--