Re: rpm install order

that took about four minutes longer than I expected.

---------
Oscar Blass
IBM West Palm Beach
Speech Solutions
561-684-6024

Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc@cu-portland.edu>@redhat.com on 02/02/2001
02:38:29 PM

Please respond to rpm-list@redhat.com

Sent by:  rpm-list-admin@redhat.com

To:   rpm-list@redhat.com
cc:
Subject:  Re: rpm install order

On 02 Feb 2001 14:25:55 -0500, David F. Newman wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am running into a problem and I'm not sure if it is a bug or
> if I am just doing something wrong.
>
> I am using rpm 3.0.6 on solaris 7.  As a systems administrator
> I create my own RPMs for software I download of the net because
> I feel that Solaris' native package format is inferior.  I also
> like it because by putting the the rpm databases in /usr/local
> I can maintain the software on any machine that mounts /usr/local
> and isn't tied to the machine I originally installed it on.
>
> The problem is that I have started to put install-info in the
> postinstall portion of packages that include info files.  As
> a result I add a "Requires: texinfo" in any package that has info
> files.  But on a new system when I am installing everything
> and issue "rpm -ivh *.rpm" rpm installs the software in the order
> on the command line which turns out to be alphabetical.  As a

This is expected behaviour, based on a couple of things.  "Requires"
means that it's required for the program to run properly.  If you want
texinfo to get installed first, I think you want "prereqs : texinfo"
instead.  That should force RPM to install texinfo before any of the
RPMs that have that line.  See "dependancies" from your RPM docs.

    Greg