Re: rpm & ssh - Will the 2 be incorporated w/ each other soon?

On Thursday, February 15, 2001 20:25:16 -0500, Jeff Johnson <jbj@JBJ.ORG> wrote:
+-----
| There's certainly no reason that I know of that apt couldn't be used in
| this fashion to augment rpm's existing CLI. Hmmmm ...
+--->8

That is a pretty good description of the apt-get "port" to use RPM as its backend. I haven't had a chance to look into it as a replacement for the current hackery I use to automate package management for our Linux boxes, but I plan to do so because it *is* a wrapper for the real package manager and it does what it does very well.

(Your metadata complaint is about dpkg, not apt. apt doesn't know anything about packages really, it is just a smart wrapper for the real package manager; that's why it could be modified to work with rpm instead of dpkg.)

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu