Re: Problem with /bin/sh dependency

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 12:18:14PM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 05:48:31PM +0100, A. Schirmacher wrote:
> > I have compiled and installed rpm 2.5.6 on a Solaris
> > box (I tried hard but I could not get a more recent
> > version to compile or install, but that's another
> > story).

I compiled a rpm 4.0 on a Solaris 2.6 system. Not without problems
(location of the BerkleyDB files and missing stpcpy function), but
it is compiled and installed now. You need gmake and maybe some
other gnu utilities. I did not check for it, just let configure/make
use what I have on the system. If you have problems just send me a
mail with some more info (error messages, ...).

> > a package, a dependency to /bin/sh is added (probably

> > Adding the autoreqprov: no tag does not help.

Only for library dependencies.

> Try
> 	echo "Provides: /bin/sh"	>> /etc/rpmrc

Or build a package containing a "Provides: /bin/sh". This package
must not have any scripts. With rpm 3.0.x you can install using:

   rpm --install dummy_sh.rpm contains_scripts.rpm

This does not work with 4.0. Here you have to use:

   rpm --install dummy_sh.rpm
   rpm --install contains_scripts.rpm

Does anyone know why?

--