Re: [rpm] Re: while i'm at it

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Tim Mooney wrote:

> With RPM, interactive pre, post, etc. scripts are strictly verboten.
> People generally need to structure their package such that it detects
> if it hasn't been configured when it's first run (i.e. after RPM is out
> of the picture) and then it automatically invokes the configuration tool
> at that point.
>
> I personally think the "no user interaction" rule is one of the very few
> serious limitations in RPM, but I'm in the minority.

aww -- come on, it's not that bad -- there is a full (and nicely --
thanks Nalin)  worked example set with /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd and
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/openssh.spec -- adding license key enablement,
and so forth is just a matter of minimal shell scripting and
testing semaphore files or automated file content status analysis.

-- Russ Herrold