Re: Automatic binary and lib stripping

Once upon a time, David wrote :

> I think the clue is found later in Mark's original post:
>
> > Alternatively, the macro can be defined at the command-line with
> > --define='__os_install_post <your definition>', but you'll most
> > likely want the macro file solution.
>
> The macro seems to be __os_install_post rather than __os_post_install.

Indeed :-)

[dude@python dude]$ rpm --eval '%__os_install_post'

    /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress
    /usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip
    /usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip-comment-note

Back to my initial problem then : It seems that the "brp-strip" file only
removes debugging symbols by using "strip -g", thus the files still appear
as "not stripped" when using "file" to identify them.

I've had a look around my system, and saw that original Red Hat Linux
binaries seem to also get this treatment rather than a full strip.

I guess I got worried for nothing ;-)

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) running Linux kernel 2.4.18-5
Load : 0.20 0.16 0.16, AC off-line, battery status high: 92% (7:47)