Re: Building RPMs From Tarballs

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 06:52:01AM -0700, SoloCDM wrote:
> Jeff Johnson stated the following:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 03:16:37PM -0700, SoloCDM wrote:
> >
> > > What options are needed with the rpm command to build a RPM from a
> > > tarball?
> >
> > > rpm <options> <whatever_name>.tar.gz
> >
> > Hmmm, "man rpmbuild" sez'

> >        rpmbuild {-ta|-tb|-tp|-tc|-ti|-tl|-ts} [rpmbuild-options]
> >        TARBALL ...
>
> I don't have a man page rpmbuild in rpm 4.0.  What version of rpm are
> you using?

rpm-4.0.4, to be released in the next week. The man page for rpmbuild is
also in rpm-4.0.3, the latest "production" release of rpm.

ANd, FWIW all the tar build options are also duplicated in rpm.8 going
way, way, way back.

> I have problems with the execution of the options on a tarball, which
> reflects in the following:
>
> Name field must be present in package: (main package)
> Version field must be present in package: (main package)
> Release field must be present in package: (main package)
> Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
> Group field must be present in package: (main package)
> License field must be present in package: (main package)
>
> Does there need to be a spec file or what?

In order to build from a tar ball, the tar ball must contain 1 and only
one file with extension '.spec'. If *.spec exists, then
	rpm -ta <tarball>
will extract the file, and proceed to parsing and building using
the spec file and tarball.

Otherwise, you need to write a spec file, although looking on rpmfind.net
for an already packaged tarball will probably save you that effort.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@jbj.org	(jbj@redhat.com)