convert tar file to rpm

For some software, only tar file is available but not rpm. Is there any way I can convert a tar file to a rpm package? I had read through rpm-HOWTO. But it seems to me that I can do this if I have the source code. Can I build a rpm package from a binary tar file?

I believe some of you are thinking of the same thing as me.

Gary