two questions about how RPM handles cpu arch and versions of packages MJB

I read in the docs that if I use the command:
rpm -i *
in a directory with several rpm's, that RPM will automatically determine the
correct order of installation to satisfy dependencies, and that it will also
install the newer version of an rpm if more than one version is present.
However, the docs only mention "version" in terms of release-version, and
say nothing about the cpu-architecture-version of a package.

If I have a directory with these two files:
the release-version is the same, only the cpu architecture is different.
Does RPM automatically install the 'higher'-cpu version, if my cpu can handle

And, if I have these files:
the release-versions are different, and the cpu-versions are different, but
in opposite directions.  Which does RPM prioritize?