Re: Supporting Earlier RH Versions with .src.rpm

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:09:49PM -0500, Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
> What is Red Hat's position on making small (forward compatible)
> corrections to .src.rpm packages to support earlier versions like
> RH6.2, on which the package was not offered?
>
> As an example, LPRng won't configure correctly on 6.0 because the
> owner of /dev/lp0 is root:daemon instead of the root:lp needed by the
> package, and there is some kind of bug running LPRng that causes the
> supplemental group memberships of user lp to be ignored.  Adding lp to
> the daemon group doesn't work!
>
> A small amount of added documentation or a chown during package
> installation would fix the problem so that LPRng would work great on
> 6.0/6.2, as it now does on my system.

AFAIK, Red Hat 6.0 is unsupported, only 6.2 (aka 6x) is still "supported".

Reporting problems in bugzilla is the best way to get a fix. For
legacy support, we (i.e. the package "owner") look carefully at the impact.
e.g. number of affected users and/or the magnitude of the problem,
in considering whether to actually release an errata.

No matter what, however, a bug report in bugzilla may/can/will
help someone else with the same problem.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@jbj.org	(jbj@redhat.com)