Re: rpmlib dependencies

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:14:31PM +1100, Andrew Smith wrote:
> I get at the end: "rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1"
>
> What exactly does this mean?

There are two parts to the question. The first/easy part is
that it's a dependency, and looks smells tastes and feels
just likae any other dependency.

> If I run "rpm -q --whatrequires rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)"
>
> I get back 136 packages
>
> Yet if I run "rpm -q --whatprovides rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)"
>
> I get back: "no package provides rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)"

Yup. FWIW the matching Provides: can be seen by doing
	rpm --showrc | more
and some day I'll get --whatprovides to Do The Right Thing.

> Thus I obviously do not understand what it means.

And the 2nd/hard part is what you don't understand. This
ia a "tracking dependency" used in packaging to associate a
package that contains/uses a feature/incompatibility with
a version of rpmlib that can handle the feature/incompatibility.

The feature/incompatibility that is being tracked in this case is
   rpm --showrc
   Features supported by rpmlib:
    rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) = 3.0.4-1
      file name(s) are stored as (dirName,baseName,dirIndex) tuple, not as path.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)