Rebuilding the /var/lib/Packages DBM when db_dump/db_load fails

I have a damaged DBM file (/var/lib/rpm/Packages used by the Redhat `rpm`).
db_verify tells me:

db_verify: Offpage item 185, page 2 has bad page number
db_verify: DB->verify: Packages: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed

so, as commonly suggested I attempted to do a: db_dump Packages; with an eye
to then doing a db_load. But this fails with the error:

db_dump: DB->Stat: Input/Output error

which leaves me a little high and dry. I *really* want to repair this DB has
I would like to maintain the ability to use and query `rpm`; software
versions on this box are very critical. And I don't want to rebuild it :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I don't mind getting dirty with
the hex editor if that's what it takes. Even if someone can explain to me
what the above error messages mean in this context it would help a great
deal.

				Sam.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and are intended
solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not disclose, forward, copy or take any action in reliance on this message
or its attachments. If you have received this email in error please notify
the sender as soon as possible and delete it from your computer systems.
necessarily reflect those of HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.

 At present the integrity of email across the internet cannot be guaranteed
and messages sent via this medium are potentially at risk.  All liability
is excluded to the extent permitted by law for any claims arising as a re-
sult of the use of this medium to transmit information by or to
HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.