Re: where should one set rpm file and dir permissions?

Circa 2002-Jan-15 08:06:48 -0500 dixit rpjday@mindspring.com:

:   i'm curious about the proper place to set the file and directory
: permissions when you're building an rpm.
:
:   on the one hand, i've seen postings describing how to make sure
: you're copying files and directories into the build root with the
: appropriate permissions you want them to have.  fair enough --
: this suggests you should make sure that everything in the build
: root has the attributes you want it to have before building the
: rpm file.
:
:   on the other hand, we have the %defattr and %attr directives.
: the drawback, as i see it, with %defattr is that you get to use it
: only once, and the default permissions you want with directories
: almost always is not the default permissions you want on files.
: unfortunately, that single %defattr applies to both.
:
:   so what's the politically correct to make sure all your rpm contents
: have the correct attributes?  careful copying?  %defattr and %attr?
: a (clearly redundant) combination of both?

The best way to be certain that a package contains the proper
permissions is with %attr().  Using 'install' or 'chmod' in the
%install section works most of the time, but beware of permissions like
0111 (--x--x--x) or 4111 (--s--x--x), which don't let RPM read
executables and perform automatic dependency analysis.

%defattr can work, but some older versions of RPM (somewhat older than
rpm-3.0.5) don't understand %defattr(), only %attr().  To make your
spec file work everywhere, use %attr().  Also, as you note above,
%defattr() can be misleading; using %defattr(0644,root,root) leaves the
executable (search) bit off of directories.

That said, it can sometimes be advantageous to make automagically
generated %file listings rather than listing files and attributes
explicitly by hand.  Unfortunately, the rpm-list archive appears to
stop on 2002-Jan-10, and the message i sent to rpm-list explaining how
to do this is from 2002-Jan-11.  Harrumph.  Hence, i include the
message below.

One further item about RPM and file permissions: Beware the umask of
the user actually performing the install.  Any directories not listed
in an RPM package but not present on the filesystem will be created
with the installing user's umask.

For example, if the installing user is 'root', with a umask of 077
(default permissions 0600 [rw-------] for files and 0700 [rwx------]
for directories), and an RPM package contains the directory
/var/opt/myapp/, but /var/opt/ doesn't exist, then RPM creates
/var/opt/ with mode 0700 (rwx------).  This can cause problems later
on.  This is true with rpm-3.0.5 and rpm-3.0.6; don't know for certain
about other versions.

Good luck.

--
jim knoble | jmknoble@pobox.com   | http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/
(GnuPG fingerprint: 31C4:8AAC:F24E:A70C:4000::BBF4:289F:EAA8:1381:1491)