Re: Can't find glibc-kernelheaders-2.4.18-5.i386rpm

And lo, upon Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 07:33:12PM +0100, John Fry spaketh thusly:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a newbie who recently upgraded my kernel by using up2date.
>
> Everything went smoothly, but now I am trying to install VWware 3.1 onto my RH 7.3 (valhalla) i386 box.
>
> Part of the VMware install went okay, but it now says it must compile a module for my kernel.
>
> After installing missing dependencies it asked me to input the location of my "C Header files"
>
> When I input /usr/include it says that "the directory of kernel headers (2.4.9-9) does not match my running kernel 2.4.18-5".
>
> I have searched HIGH and LOW for the package glibc-kernheaders-2.4.18-5.i386.rpm but have found nothing.
>
> Have I got the needed package name wrong?
>
> Is the RPM not available yet?
>
> HELP me PLEASE!!!
>
> Thanks in advance,

For some reason, Red Hat ships at least 2 different packages that
provide the kernel headers: kernel-source and glibc-kernelheaders.
Instead of having the two packages provide some virtual dependancy
that other packages depend on, some packages depend directly on one of
the three packages. glibc-kernelheaders will contain a copy of the
kernel headers which the version of glibc was compiled with, and AFAIK,
there is none available for 2.4.18-5. In your case, you're just trying
to compile something for the current kernel- using the files from
glibc-kernelheaders is not a good idea (which is why vmware is
complaining about it-- you'd have problems with anything that compiled
for the kernel, e.g. the Nvidia kernel module).

If you have the kernel-source package, you can copy the appropriate
config from the /usr/src/linux/configs directory and run 'make dep' as
I mentioned in a previous msg, and use that as your kernel include
files. You can rename the /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm
directories that come with glibc-kernelheaders and create symlinks...

	ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
	ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm /usr/include/asm

Or, in your limited case, you can just tell the vmware-config.pl script
to use "/usr/src/linux/include" instead of "/usr/include". Do make sure
you've run 'make dep' first, though.

--

Aaron Gaudio                           prothontar @ tarnation.dyndns.org
                   http://tarnation.dyndns.org/~aaron