Re: rpm rollback features...

Thanks for your lengthy reply Jeff.  That really distilled some
things for me.  At least now I think I understand (-;

After some intial testing I came up with one problem.  Here is the
scenario:

	At time T1 RPM X is not installed.
	At time T2 RPM X Version V1 Release R1 is installed.
	At time T3 RPM X Version V1 Release R2 is installed.
	At time T4 a request to rollback to  T3 > t > T2 is made.
	At time T5 a request to rollback to  T2 > t > T1 is made.

Note all times ordered (Ta < Ta+1).  Anyway it appears that the
first rollback works fine, but the second one which would equate to
a removal of the application does not work fine as it does nothing.
That is the rollback to T2 > t > T1, the time when the rpm was not
installed leaves the rpm installed.

I distilled this further to the following scenario:

	At time T1 RPM X is not installed.
	At time T2 RPM X Version V1 Release R1 is installed.
	At time T3 a request to rollback to  T2 > t > T1 is made.

In this scenario I am simply trying to roll back the initial install
of an rpm, so I am not doing multiple rollbacks.  The result is the same.

Now one might consider that if the rollback to when the rpm was not
installed would open the door for disk scrub.  I don't think this is the
case if in tracking TIDs, one makes a special rule for RPMS that part of
the first TID of the system that they cannot be removed.

Implentation details aside the real world scenario that I am trying to
deal with is:

	A system is in the field with a certain set of RPM's installed.
	A upgrade to the system occurs, and x number of new RPM's are
		added.
	For whatever reason the upgrade is not considered a good thing
		and a rollback/backout must occur.

In this scenario, the new rpms need to be removed.  Now this can be
handled external from RPM, but things are simplified on my end if
RPM handles this.

If after reading this you consider this to be a bug, I will submit a
bugzilla report, but I wanted to get some concensus on what the best
approach is.

Cheers...james