Re: upgrading a live server without rebooting

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 10:35 am, Stefano Tabacchiera wrote:
> Anyway, my problem is:
> when I try to simply issuing rpm -Uvh *.rpm, it complains about some
> missing files/failed dependencies. I don't want to install *everything*,
> but just upgrading the existing packages.

I've pretty much done this myself in the past. To get it to work you have to
do it in a couple of stages to avoid looping/missing dependencies.

Start by upgrading key libraries and utilities (e.g. glibc, perl, sed - the
packages that are identified as 'Base' in RedHat/base/comps on the installer
package). Once you've done this I find that if you take specific areas at a
time (X, then gnome etc), it all works pretty smoothly. YMMV ;-)

cheers
john