Re: a follow up - the subject of easier installs just happened to ./

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 10:58, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I find apt for rpm great, it fills in where I was really missing something.
>
> Some would say 'just use up2date' for Red Hat, but apt has features up2date
> doesn't have.  Things like installing an rpm and automatically pulling in all
> dependencies for that rpm for you (after confirmation).

There are several underlying issues with apt that make it sub-optimal.
Consider yum (http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/) -- it's by far the
simplest and the best framework I've tried that does all you need. We
use it pretty much Duke-wide, plus I've been successful in using yum to
upgrade my home system from YellowDog-2.2 to YellowDog-2.3.

Regards,
--
 0>  Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
/ )  Duke University Physics Sysadmin