Re: installing a PPC RPM on my local system (just for a test)

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Sent: Dec 17, 2003 1:07 PM
To: rpm-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: installing a PPC RPM on my local system (just for a test)

Once upon a time, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@mindspring.com> said:
>   why did the chroot() call fail just because i was a regular user?  i gave,
> as an argument to --root=, a directory for which i as a regular user have
> full permission.  is there something about running a chroot()-based command
> as non-root that causes it to fail?

Yes, you cannot chroot() unless you are root (for security reasons).

Trying to install for a different arch is not likely to really succeed
anyway, as all the %pre and %post scripts will fail (if they run in the
chroot, they'll try to run binaries for a different architecture).

  sigh.  i really have to pay closer attention to the man pages.  argh.
although installing for a different architecture shouldn't be that hard
since, as i mentioned, it seems like a convenient way to build an
NFS-mounted root filesystem for a different architecture.

  back to the circuit board.

rday