Re: rpm and cross-development packages

Enrico Scholz wrote:
If I'm packaging up a cross-development toolchain with RPM, it appears
that find-requires is going to search files it shouldn't.

For instance, let's say the cross-development toolchain includes
binaries precompiled for some other architecture, using some other
version of glibc than the native glibc on the development system.
e.g.
  /opt/crosstools/sh4/target/bin/ls
might be a binary that uses the super-spiffy glibc7.9 (which happens
to be in /opt/crosstools/sh4/target/lib/libc.so).

I suggest to let rpm operate in /opt/crosstools/sh4/target as its root-directory:

| $ rpm --root=/opt/crosstools/sh4/target --initdb
| $ rpm --root=/opt/crosstools/sh4/target -U foobar.sh4.rpm

Probably, you will have to use the '--ignorearch' option because rpm
does not honor the /opt/crosstools/sh4/target/etc/rpm/platform file.

I don't think --root is the right way to go. That would be right if I were cross-building an rpm. Instead, I'm building an rpm that contains a cross-compiler.

Thanks,
Dan