"redhat-provided" package == immutable Group, Summary, etc.?

All,

I recently built repackaged a package that RedHat provides (pvm) because
it doesn't meet my needs.  In doing so I changed the Group:, Summary:,
%description, etc.  When I build the package and query the resulting pvm
rpm (or the spec file itself) I get the standard RedHat defined Group: and
Summary, etc...

In that pvm is a redhat provided package rpm seems to be pulling the
various bits out of the rpmdb (even though the redhat provided pvm
packages are no longer installed) rather than using what I provide in the
spec file.  Is this normal?  Normal or not; it _feels_ broken to me =)

Thanks in advance,
Mike

--
Mike Snitzer                           msnitzer@lnxi.com