Re: "redhat-provided" package == immutable Group, Summary, etc.?

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:36:14AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

> >     There's nothing stopping you from sending me a patch to do
> >     Something Else Instead.
>
> :) I think we're still at the "what should Something Else be" stage.

Well, I can tell you wnat Something Else should be.

Format should be XML, with package NEVRAO keys as markup on headers that
contain tags.

(N==Name, E==Epoch, etc)

rpm should supply some search hierarchy like
   for some tag
	for user, system, default
	    retrieve specific tag content by NEVRA, NEVR, NEV, NE, N key
		in that order.
   otherwise use legacy header tag content (if present).

Dinky tools to manage the XML, a text editor will work initially.

'Tain't hard at all to set up lookaside in XML for Description:, Summary:,
Group:, Vendor:, Distribution:, Packager:, Enhances:, Suggests: ...

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)