Re: How to abort RPM upgrade if previous package is at inappropriate version?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:08:54AM -0800, Suz Wassman wrote:
> > > Here's what's in helloworld spec file at version 2.5.1-0:
> > > 	Conflicts: helloworld < 2.5.0-0
> > >
> > > Test system has helloworld version 2.1.0-8 installed.
> > > Tried installing version 2.5.1-0 with -vv option.  The
> > > messages appear to flag the conflict, but the install
> > > continues:

> > >    D:   NO     A helloworld = 2.5.1-0      B helloworld < 2.5.0-0
> > >    D: Conflicts: helloworld < 2.5.0-0                          NO
> >
> > Here's what you need to look at. Install a package that triggers
> > the conflicts to convince yourself that Conflicts: "works".
>
> I have no doubt Conflict works in general.
> I've changed the "Conflicts" tag in the helloworld spec
> file to read:
> 	Conflicts: tux < 2.5.0-0
>
> The test system has tux version 2.2.5-1 installed.
> Tried installing helloworld with -vv option.  The
> messages:
>    D:  Requires: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)                          YES (db provides)
>    D:   YES    A tux = 2.2.5-1     B tux < 2.5.0-0
>    D: Conflicts: tux < 2.5.0-0                                 YES (db provides)
>    D: package helloworld conflicts: tux < 2.5.0-0
>    D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Conflictname create mode=0x42
>    D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Depends
>    error: failed dependencies:
>            tux < 2.5.0-0 conflicts with helloworld-2.5.1-0
>
> And helloworld did NOT install.  I'm trying to keep it
> from installing based on a particular version of itself,
> but the rpm install program seems to check the version
> I'm trying to install as well as the existing database
> to determine if a conflict exists.

Ah, there may very well be a test for a self-conflicted package
that may need to be written more carefully. That I can believe.

If so, bugzilla please, and I'll get a fix.

Possible workaround by doing (change path to suit needs):
	Conflicts: /some/path

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ