Question recursive rpm calls.

Hi rpm'ers,

I am trying to solve the problem, of enumerating all the instances
of our product already installed on the system, when the installation
is in the %post section is there a way to do this ?

The reason I need to do this is to find the latest greatest instance
and update a config file with the latest instance to use.

For example:
installs
widget 1.5
and then installs
widget 1.4
so the cfg. pointer should always point to the latest version namely
widget 1.5

I tried using rpm -qa widget, it appears that the db is locked
by the rpm -i, so that was a noop.

Any ideas ?
Thanks for your help in advance.