Re: library rpms

On Friday 07 February 2003 02:48, Jim Knoble wrote:
> Circa 2003-02-06 20:15:39 -0500 dixit Lamar Owen:
> : (which is a symlink to ->) libpq.so.2.0 -> and libpq.so.2.2, as well as
> : libpq.a. The libpq.so symlink and the libpq.a static libs go in -devel,
> : and the versioned .so's go in -libs.  The libpq.so symlink is only used
> : during compile linkage.  To be pedantic.

> Even more pedantically, the only libraries that should go into any
> packages at all are:

> Let /sbin/ldconfig do what it's supposed to do, otherwise you could
> have "interesting" behavior when SONAME symlinks point back to a
> different library after an older package is installed.

In the case of PostgreSQL, I package the 'lesser' symlinks simply to make
people's lives a little easier when doing a minor version upgrade (minor
version of the libpq client library, that is).  As minor library versions
will be binary compatible, it makes it easier for people to upgrade to a
later minor PostgreSQL version without having to recompile php and whatever
else is going to be using libpq.

And currently only a single version can be installed at any given time,
enforced by dependencies.  That is also by design, as a major version upgrade
of PostgreSQL requires more than typical data migration mungation.

> I also recommend putting shared libraries in packages virtually by
> themselves, so that multiple library versions (which, by definition,
> don't conflict) can coexist without any other conflicting files getting
> in the way.  For example, the way i package OpenSSL is as follows:[*]

Similar to the postgresql-libs package.

However, I'll concede the PostgreSQL packages are yet another special case for
some of this 'SOP' talk, and may not be the ideal example for 'how to
package'.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio