Howto turn off macros which are checked in %{?...:...} expressions?

Hello,

I try to turn off the building of debuginfo-packages without editing
/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros. In this file, _enable_debug_packages is
*defined* as

| %_enable_debug_packages 1

I can assign other values in /etc/rpm/macros

| %_enable_debug_packages %{nil}

but this does not help because the decision whether the debuginfo
package will be created or not hangs on

| %install %{?_enable_debug_packages:%{?buildsubdir:%{debug_package}}}\

This %{?COND:...} conditional ignores the value of COND and is fullfilled
when 'COND' is *defined*. Because _enable_debug_packages is defined, the
debuginfo-packages will be build.

How can I set set/unset _enable_debug_packages in a configfile so that
debuginfo packages will not be created? Modifying something under
/usr/lib/... or uninstalling redhat-rpm-config are not an option ;)

Enrico