Re: rpmvercmp is kinda broken, always has been

> From:  Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
> Date:  Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:43:30 -0500
>
> > This would mean (00503 cmp 006) instead of (503 <=> 6).  (Pardon the perl syntax.)
> >
> > I haven't figure out what that would break yet, but I know there's something.
>
> Yup, finding what breaks with any new scheme is a lotta work, and is the rate
> limiting step.

I think I found it:

Consider 3 values:  00503, 6, 10

   00503 < 6    (00503 lt 006)
   6 < 10
   10 < 00503   (0010 lt 00503)

So as soon as perl got to version 5.10, you'd have infinite loops in ordering
perl RPMs.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  World War III:  The Wrong-Doers Vs. the Evil-Doers.