Re: change to epoch

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:52:41PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> I've heard that rpm in the future will assume an epoch of 0 if one isn't
> found.  Will this disrupt any way that dependencies are handled with
> rpms that don't have an epoch set?  What will be the end user impact?

Yup, already in rpm-4.1.

The change doesn't affect packages that use an explicit package at all.

The change mostly gets it right if the package didn't specify an Epoch:
when needed, but there's no way that rpm can guess what Epoch: was
intended for all possible cases.

You can see the magnitude of the problem by looking at the
output of (rpm-4.1 only)
	rpm -Vav --nofiles

Fix the packages, I say. Again and again.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)