Re: librpm / corrupt free list in an FD_t (help please)

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:30:39PM -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

> > FWIW, there's a standalone db1->db3 conversion utility in tools/convertdb1.c
> > if you want to try converting. That might be easier.
>
> Ok I'm not sure I understand.
> correct me if I'm wrong:
> 	- rpm 3.x works with db1 but not db3

Yup.

> 	- rpm 4.x works with db3 but not db1

No, rpm-4.0.x supported both db1 and db3, at least well enough to do
rpm --rebuilddb to convert.

Yes, db1 support is removed in rpm-4.1.

> 	- convertdb1 is usefull to convert the
> 	  contents of /var/lib/rpm/ to db3
> 	  format so that the incoming rpm 4.x
> 	  can read/write it.

convertdb1 is what rpm-4.1 provides instead of db1 support.

> 	- upgrading to rpm 4.x will break/change the rpm API
> 	  (I believe rpmRunTransactions() etc. is no longer
> 	  present in 4.x ?)
>
> 	- upgrading to rpm 4.x will not break the dbx API
> 	  (i.e. functions such as dbiIndexSetCount(); and
> 	  dbiIndexRecordOffset(); are still there in db3 ?)

rpm has no API, it's silly to pretend otherwise.

That being said, most everything in rpm-4.0.x is the same as rpm-3.0.x,
the major exeception being using rpmdbInitIterator() et al everywhere.

rpm-4.1 is a different API, probably better and easier to understand, but yes,
different.

> If this is the case I'll have to think about changing to
> rpm 4.x (I'm putting all my money on rpm right now as
> a figure of speach).
>
> Regards,
> 			-Tristan
>
> PS:
> 	are the latest versions of rpm alot
> more reliable ?

Sure, $20 sent to the right address will make rpm even more reliable. ;-)

HTH

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ