Re: How do I create an RPM from the db???

> Ok, here is the scenario.
>
> I have a system with various RPM packages on it.  In
> particular, I have a package named foo-1.2.13-3 and
> another package named foo-3.1.2-3 that I would like to
> replace foo-1.2.13-3 with.  The only problem is that I
> am not sure the newer foo will work on this older
> system and so I would like the ability to be able to
> version does not work.  The only problem is that I do
> not have access to an RPM of the previous version
> (foo-1.2.13-3).  So, if I upgrade it how do I get it
> back if the newer version does not work for this
> system?  Is there a way to generate an rpm from an
> already installed rpm?  In other words, since I
> already have foo-1.2.13-3 on the system is there a way
> to generate a foo-1.2.13-3.i386.rpm from what is
> already installed on the system?  BTW, the system is
> using RPM version 3.0.5 and with a Linux 2.2.16
> kernel.  Or, is there another workaround to restore
> the package since I do not have access to one of the
> original RPMs?

Should be able to run:

	rpm -Uvh --repackage new.rpm

This should create a package of what is on the system at the time.
If you get the time before you do this, if something goes wrong you
can do:

	rpm --rollback <time>

<time> is in the format of CVS dates as I recall.  This rollback would
then automatically reinstall the repackaged package.

Cheers...james