Re: How do I create an RPM from the db???

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:36:08PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > > Should be able to run:
> > >
> > > 	rpm -Uvh --repackage new.rpm
> > >
> > > This should create a package of what is on the system at the time.
> >
> > Be forewarned:
> > 	A repackaged package is not a package, never will be.
>
> Um, what the heck is it then? I mean, if one rpm is a package and

A repackaged package may have
	a) missing files because certain files from original package were
	not installed.
	b) file md5sum failures because files were modified after install.
	c) package signature/digest failures because of the above.

If it doesn't quack like a duck, it's not a duck.

> another one isn't, how you're supposed to know the difference? I don't

Trust me, you will know. Or look for the removetid tag, as repackaged
packages (and *only( repackaged packages) have that tag.

> think it's enough to say you'll only find the other species in
> /var/spool/repackage as files have an odd way of floating around :)

Yup, known.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ