Re: adding Ruby module dependencies to rpm

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 02:35:06AM -0800, Ian Macdonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following patch against CVS and the two new files I've attached
> (ruby.req and ruby.prov) add support for determining Ruby module
> dependencies at build time in the same way that Perl package
> dependencies are currently determined.
>
> Indeed, the code used for ruby.req and ruby.prov is adapted from that of
> perl.req and perl.prov by Ken Estes. I considered rewriting the new Ruby
> versions in Ruby itself, but I reasoned that there was value to not
> requiring Ruby to be on the build system.

Note that perl.prov and perl.req are being phased out, replaced
by perldeps.pl.

> I've tested the mechanism against several Ruby module RPMs that I've
> created and the dependencies seem to get determined pretty
> intelligently. Occasionally, the system gets it wrong when a variable
> needs to be interpolated as part of a 'require' or 'load', but this is a
> rare enough occurrence that it doesn't detract from the usefulness of
> the feature.

Hmmm, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent with "gets it wrong"
with perl dependencies. I'd suggest a little more testing, and convince
Ruby developers to use. Start with Provides: generation, Requires:,
particularly when "wrong" cause an rpm problem where there was none before.

> The new ruby.req and ruby.prov should be added to the rpm/scripts
> subdirectory of the CVS tree.
>
> Jeff, is there any chance of this being committed to CVS?

I can add, but rpm-4.2 doesn't use find-provides and find-requires any more,
so there's little reason to add other scripts.

Try rewriting (or even merging) with perldeps.pl. AFAIK, that means adding
	a) --provides/--requires
	b) options to ignore certain dependencies

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)