Re: librpm / corrupt free list in an FD_t (help please)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:45:55AM -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
>            the packaging format.  rpm-3.0.4 cannot read packages
> produced by
>            rpm-4.0.

The above is FUD. rpm-3.0.4 can and does read packages produced by
rpm-4.1 at the format and content levels.

What's different is that there are tracking dependencies deliberately
added to identify known incompatibilities. The tracking dependencies
can *all* be avoided if necessary.

And, on beyond rpm packaging, software packaged by rpm-4.0 and later is
very, very likely to be encumbered with all sorts of incomnpatibilities
if targeted at a (presumably) virgin Red Hat 6.2 system running rpm-3.0.4.

That is plain and simply not an rpm problem at all.

> /******************** [ snip ] ****************************************/
>

> 	What conserns me is the ability to update software
> remotely (on the "Jukebox" that we sell) without any
> human interaction. (I am convinced now that rpm-4.x
> probably 4.1 will work better for me).
>
> 	I can tell that this was a nightmare to say
> the least for alot of redhat users.
> But if I had to choose between incompatibility
> issues and locking databases/broken "freelist chains"
> I'd take incompatibility in a second.

Again "incompatibility issues" is rather vague. There are very, very
few intrinsic "incompatibilities" that cannot be addressed somehow.

None that I know of. ;-) Show me the incompatibilities, I'll show
you the workaround.

Locking is a whole different can of worms, concurrent database
access doesn't come cheaply or easily.

> I would still like to thank everyone who responded
> to me on this list. Jeff was a *great* help
> and very straight to the point.

<blush> Now if I could just convince SuSE to dump rpm-3.0.x, my
life would be peachy.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ