Some Basic RPM Questions

I'm running RH8 and want to get the newer version of XFree86 to work so I can have better resolution on my laptop. I'm suffering from the Intel 830 chipset problem. Here is what I am trying to do:

Want to update the kernel so I can update the XFree86 server.

Download the kernel from rawhide and can't install it cause I needed to upgrade kudzu. Downloaded and upgraded kudzu and found that I needed pciutils. Got that and installed it. Or so I thought. Ran rpm -Uvh on the pciutils package, it was successful. Did the same for kudzu-devel-0.99.86-1.... with the same results. Tried running rpm -ivh to install the kernel rmp and got errror: Failed denppendencies:
kudzu <=0.99.81 conflicts with kernel-2.4.20-2.9.....
kudzu version numbers did not match up between what I thought I'd installed and what rpm was telling me was installed. Ran rpm -q kudzu and was informed that I'm running kudzu-0.99.69-1.

installed via rpm -Uvh 	kudzu-devel-0.99.86-1
Failed Dependency error	kudzu <=0.99.81
rpm query		kudzu-0.99.69-1

Which is correct.

Dumb question: If I install an rpm using rpm -Uvh my reading tells me that it is installed and the old package is removed.

Installed XFree86, successfully, using -Uvh and when I start X I am told that I'm still running the older version of XFree86. Someone please help me understand.

If I successfully install an rpm from the command line, how do I make sure that the new package is being used?

Thanks

--
Skip Warnick
Coordinator, Web Services