Re: a question about --root(-r) option

At 13:47 14-01-03 +0800, Jian CJ Chen wrote:

Would anybody help me explain what the option -r means?

It tells RPM to install in another filesystem and it also expects the RPM database to be relative to the specified mount point. So if you
rpm -qa /mnt/disk
then it will use the rpm database in /mnt/disk/usr/lib/rpm

This is typically used only in the ramdisk based install system (and with Linux for S/390 where you can grab the disks of another Linux image ;-)

I'd say your use of the --root is wrong here, and if anything like that works then you probably have rpm database in a different spot and may want to use --dbpath instead. The --root option also causes the install scripts to run in chroot environment on the specified subtree, and that's probably not what you wanted.

Rob