building librpm-4.1 on rh7.3

Hello all,

I'm quite new to developing under Linux, so sorry if I make silly questions (and silly mistakes too...), but I have a problem and I hope that you can help me.

I did a small C program that simply installs rpm packages, I developed it under rh8.0 (librpm-4.1).
Now I want it to work also under rh7.3, which has librpm-4.0, so I decided to recompile librpm-4.1 on 7.3
I don't need the Python2 bindings, so I started building from the source code and everything compiled fine.
The only problem was with libpopt which appears to have the same version number ( libpopt.so.0.0.0 ?!?) both in rh8.0 and rh7.3, but I decided to replace the old one with the new one.
Then, I copied the new libs (librpm-4.1.so librpmdb-4.1.so librpmio-4.1.so librpmbuild-4.1.so libpopt.so.0.0.0) to /usr/lib and run ldconfig. No problem 'til here.
I copied the new heaeders in /usr/include/rpm-4.1 and then I compiled my C project with the option -I/usr/include/rpm-4.1 and I linked with the options -lrpm-4.1 -lrpmdb-4.1 -lrpmio-4.1 -lrpmbuild-4.1 -lpopt and here too everything was fine.
Now we come to the problem.
In my program there is a call to popen() (yes, the stdio.h function) which now makes my program crash, apparently with no reason :(((
Also, I wrote a small test program that uses popen() but does not link with the rpm-4.1 libs, and it works perfectly, and doesn't crash when I call popen().
Did I make some mistakes in porting the lib to rpm7.3 which could cause this strange behaviour???
Do you think that the problem lies in the rpmlib-4.1?? If so, what is the connection between popen() and rpmlib-4.1???
Any help & hint is really really appreciated...
TIA
Werther

Help STOP SPAM: Try the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail