Re: RPM's that fail in %post...

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:41:24PM -0500, James Olin Oden wrote:

> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:10:11PM -0500, James Olin Oden wrote:
> > > My question is concerning packages that fail in the %post
> > > scriptlet.  In Solaris these sort of packages were called partial
> > > packages as their file payload was installed, but the post installation
> > > script failed.
> > >
> > > The question is how do you detect such an RPM on the system?
> >
> > Install the package. If it fails in %post, then clean up
> > the mess.
> >
> I thought of another scenario that is problematic.  We will be installing
> groups of RPM's as one transaction.  How will we know which RPM failed installing?

Failed rpm's will be installed twice, which typically does not happen.

FWIW, there are 2 big lies in rpm:
	1) reproducible builds.
	2) all-or-nothing transaction set installs.

#1 is true iff one knows how to set up a build environment.

#2 is true iff system is maintained (e.g. enough disk space) and
packaging is perfect, i.e. no %post failures. %pre failures
are even weirder, and then there's %triggers.

> Would it be better to use the python API?

The python API might permit you to detect partial installs more easily
and flexibly, but the problems above remain imho.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)