Re: RPM's that fail in %post...

Jeff Johnson wrote:
On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:36:47PM -0600, Eli Carter wrote:

Jeff Johnson wrote:
[snip]

FWIW, there are 2 big lies in rpm:
	1) reproducible builds.
	2) all-or-nothing transaction set installs.

#1 is true iff one knows how to set up a build environment.

Which would be true of any package manager, as I understand it, right?

#2 is true iff system is maintained (e.g. enough disk space) and
packaging is perfect, i.e. no %post failures. %pre failures
are even weirder, and then there's %triggers.

But this sounds like it's rpm specific...

ENOSPC is rpm specific? Hardly.

Failure of %post is an rpm problem? Buggy/untested scripts have been written
and run since the Bourne shell was first coded.

Failure to react perfectly in the face of ENOSPC, %post scriptlet failures,
hardware problems, etc on an installed for all possible conditions?

Yeah, I guess that's a rpm specific deficiency, to be solved eventually.

So let me ask an unfair question: are there other package managers that get #2 right?

Dunno, I use rpm. If there was a better package manager, I'd use that, but
that's just my opinion.

C'mon, rpm does not take out the trash, boil the coffee, scramble your eggs,
or a zillion other things.

Deal with it.

73 de Jeff

I fear I didn't come across as I intended, and I think I just got singed...

What I was trying to do was ask if there were package managers that lived up to the 'all-or-nothing transaction set installs' criteria, in hopes of gaining some broader perspective on package management.
I really did not intend to disparage rpm (or your work) in any way.

That reminds me, I need to bugzilla the scrambled eggs. RPM doesn't get them cooked quite the way I like 'em. Though I guess I'll wait on adding 'nice, crispy bacon' for now... ;)

Have fun,

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram