%pre problem!

Hi,

I am new to rpm making and am seeing  a problem in making a rpm and
installing.

My requirement is:
I need some user responses, which I use further in postinstall. There is
"request" script on Solaris. I don't find a similar one on Linux rpm.

I added like this in %pre section:
echo "Please enter the directory, you want to install"
read my_install_dir

While installing, the script waits for few seconds, say 5, and then it
continues, without user entering something. How can I make it wait till user
types some response?

Please help!

Thanks,
Nagendar