Static link question

This question isn't directly related to the RPM libraries, but more about development with them. I hope someone on this list answer it. :)

I want to be able to distribute an executable to systems without the rpm development libraries, thus I need to link statically against the rpm libraries (right?). My problem is I can't seem to get this to work right. I am using automake, autoconf, and libtool with this application, which is *supposed* to make this sort of thing easier. In my Makefile.am I have:

program_LDADD = /usr/lib/librpm.la

I'm sure I'm just dense but I can't seem to link statically against the rpm libs using the .la extension. Setting CFLAGS to "-static" doesn't work, nor does "--disable-shared" to configure. What do I need to do?

ahp