Re: Solaris rpm compile problems: zlib won't build w/o help (libtoolbarfs)

I'm not sure this is the answer you wanted.. but RPM does compile w/ gcc (I'm using version 2.95.3) with libtool 1.3.5.. and a variety of other GNU utilities.

There was a problem in building it, I sent a patch for that particular problem to jbj.

(Problems were related to libelf, and a few thinks here and there that didn't have "sun" definitions.) If you would like a copy of my patch drop me an email, otherwise I believe the stuff has been checked into the CVS repository.

--Mark Hatle
MontaVista Software, Inc.

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
This _might_ be a bug in the autoconf/make/libtool scripts, or it might just be a problem with the way I'm using configure.

My intent is to build RPM with the Sun Workshop C compiler, not that it should matter in this case. After compiling and installing the latest libtool, autoconf, popt, and automake (along with Berkeley DB), I started to try to build rpm. The configure invocation looks like this:

LIBS='-L/home/prog/tools/SunOS_5.8/lib/ -L/usr/lib/' CC=cc CXX=CC ./configure --prefix=/home/prog/tools -exec-prefix=/home/prog/tools/SunOS_5.8

(The paths are there for a network installation of the binaries.)

Configure appears to run fine. Then 'make' tries to make in zlib and barfs with the following:

/bin/bash ./libtool --mode=link cc -DHAS_snprintf -DHAS_snprintf -o libz.la adler32.lo compress.lo crc32.lo deflate.lo gzio.lo infblock.lo infcodes.lo inffast.lo inflate.lo inftrees.lo infutil.lo trees.lo uncompr.lo zutil.lo -lrt -lpthread -lsocket -lnsl -L/home/prog/tools/SunOS_5.8/lib/ -L/usr/lib/ -L./zlib -R./zlib -L/home/prog/tools/lib -R/home/prog/tools/lib -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib -lbz2
./libtool: cd: ./zlib: No such file or directory
libtool: link: cannot determine absolute directory name of `./zlib'
make: *** [libz.la] Error 1

(Sorry for the length.) Now, it appears that the libtool script doesn't like the relative path in there with the -R option for zlib near the bottom. My questions are,

1) is this normal? i.e. given the way I configure'd it, how could it come up with anything but ".." as the value of top_srcdir? Is this some bug in the version of bash that it's using? (GNU bash, version 2.03.0(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris))

2) what do I do about it? I can get zlib (and libelf, same problem) to build by manually re-running the exact same configure as above and then make'ing them separately. However, there are more libtool problems with rpmio along the same lines. Something is definitely amiss, methinks...

Thanks for any input. I will keep trying.