make install is putting arch-specific files in bad places

This is a bug but I don't have the requisite automake/autoconf experience to fix it, so I am posting it here for help.

'make install' is putting architecture-specific binaries in ${prefix}/lib/rpm. Specifically they are

javadeps: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
rpmb: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
rpmcache: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
rpmd: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
rpmi: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
rpmk: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
rpmq: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
striptofile: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
unstripfile: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped

These should be installed in ${exec_prefix}/lib/rpm, not ${prefix}/lib/rpm. On most installs, particularly single-system Linux installs, these are the same directory. On a network install for a heterogeneous site, they are not. Can someone who knows more about automake help me?

I have also made a bunch of other little changes to fix the other problems I was having with compilation (this is on Solaris 8 with Sun's Workshop toolset). I'll post those as patches when I can confirm that everything actually works.

--
Matthew Mitchell
Systems Programmer/Administrator            matthew@geodev.com