RPM root and db dir

I am installing RPM packages under a custom root directory (ala. rpm --root). I have figured out how to change to rootdir, but when I try to install a package, I get:

error: no dbpath has been set
error: cannot open Packages database in /dir/dir1/%{_dbpath}

I looked through the docs, but I didn't come across anything that looked correct, so I thought I would drop a message to the list. It might be faster. :)

ahp