local changes to /usr/lib/rpm/macros...

Hi All,

I was trying to change the location of %_repackage_dir, so I added it
to my ~/.rpmmacros file.  This had no effect.  Should it have?

My purpose of course is to try to change this directory without editing
the macros file.  The main problem with editing this file directly is that
changes are subject to being overwritten the next time RPM is upgraded.
Is there a way to make this change without editing the shipping macros
file?

Thanks...james