Re: --test and --repackage...

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Hmmm, the script implements little that
> 	rpm -Fv *.rpm | wc -l
> would do.

I don't think so. I was trying to see which packages would be upgraded
without actually upgrading them, which is where --test becomes
helpful.

> OTOH, everone seems to want to know what packages are gonna be
> installed in what order when accessing through a splat, that might
> be better done as some query rather than the hodge podge of scripts
> trying to (ab)use --test.

The order of installation wasn't really my concern. Sure, a query is
better, but it doesn't mitigate the issue that prompted me to write
the script in the first place: rpm itself offers no command-line
answer to the question, "Given an rpm repository, which would be
installed during a --freshen session?"

afaik, grep-ing the output of 'rpm -Fvv --test' is still the only way
do get such an answer from a shell one-liner.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining. I like rpm and find it very
useful. Your work is much appreciated, and the farthest thing from my
mind is to intimate otherwise. If you happen to make your way to
O'Reilly's Open Source conference in Portland this Summer, your money
won't be any good in the bar :-)  I was just responding to your
question about the usefulness of the --test option.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein@cse.ogi.edu>