Re: --test and --repackage...

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 09:20:58PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > > Curiosity:
> > > 	What do you find useful about --test?
> > >
> > > I think --test is silly, traversing all rpm code paths but doing nothing.
> > >
> > > As a developer traversing all code paths is a feature, but for the life of
> > > me I cannot see or imagine any use of --test that could not be better
> > > provided through other means.
> >
> > I occasionally use it for finding out what a given package depends on,
> > simply because 'rpm -e --test foo' is faster to type than
> > 'rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides foo`|sort -u'
>
> Hmmm, this is a candidate for
> 	Worst abuse of a command line option.

:))

> Admittedly, "-q --whatrequires" are not exactly easy, pleasant, or
> sufficiently informative to use instead.

Well, it certainly would be nice if --whatrequires would provide the full
dependency information including file, library and direct package
dependencies without jumping through hoops.

The other case is obviously installing/upgrading packages but being sure
nothing on the system gets changed, as others have pointed out. Sure you
can sort out the result by querying but with --test you (well, maybe not
you, but us users :) get it for free.

--
	- Panu -