rpm slowness

[root@optimus root]# time rpm -e foobar
error: package foobar is not installed

real    0m5.791s
user    0m2.460s
sys     0m2.560s

CPU: AMD-K6/500
I'm using rpm-4.0.4.

The point is that most of that time is spent after the error message is
showed.

Besides that, is anyone looking for improvements in the rpm performance?
Because my feeling is that it's getting more slower (I mean really) after
each release...

If someone has any benchmarks to send, it would be interesting to take a
look at them (maybe comparing rpm-3, rpm-4{0,1}, dpkg...)

Thanks
   - Ademar

--
Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. <ademar@conectiva.com.br>